Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012


I write this blog as I listen to ACDC blocking out the noises of children crying and people fighting. My next-door neighbor is currently in a state of drunkenness. No, that isn’t correct… He is belligerently smashed. Today is Sunday and Sundays aren’t classy days here in Boca Chica. Well, let me give some significance to Boca Chicano Sundays:

Sunday is the day of rest and I say this meaning ‘day of rest’ and not ‘god’s day of rest’ where people go to church and are with their family and do Jesus-like stuff. Sundays consist of people waking up über late (completely missing the church service they promise their grandmothers’ that they will go to) and they go to the futbol (soccer) game. There are 5 towns in the district I live in and each have a soccer team. Every Sunday the teams compete in the next town over and all of the masses go to ‘watch’. Now I use the term ‘watch’ loosely here because they say they go to ‘watch’ the game but really it’s a big social event where people drink/pre-game. It is actually a ton of fun. Mind you, I don’t drink with my community. I’m a nice catholic girl here…

After the game people stay in the town, which just so happens to have a big bar. Sundays the owners clear out majority of the tables to make room for a dance floor, and blast obnoxiously loud music. An obscene amount of drinking goes on here, however it is not nearly as much as what happens afterward:

At around 2 am people begin to return to Boca Chica completely drunk, yet somehow they continue to taint their livers, and occasionally their families; this brings us back to my neighbor.

My neighbor is a very nice man and has never given me a reason not to trust him, although I do avoid him when he’s drunk. Well, tonight is a night of avoidance. I woke up a fabulous hour of 2:45 in the morning to him yelling words at his children that even I wouldn’t use. He is also using them with his current passion (I won’t give this lady anymore grief by using the title girlfriend) as well as some other words that I haven’t learned or really care to.

I am currently sitting up in bed writing you all this lovely blog that I am sure will give my mother more reason to worry (as if she need another reason).

Random moments in my life:

       Every year all Peace Corps Volunteers worldwide need to fill out the Annual Living Allowance Survey. The survey is used to see how much money volunteers use monthly, yearly, weekly, etc… It is very detailed and an enormous pain in the gluteus maximus. There many sections including a groceries section that includes how much each food costs and how much you buy monthly. One of the food groups is peanut butter. And honestly, in Peace Corps worldwide, peanut butter pretty much is a main food for most volunteers. I thought it was funny but now that it is on paper, not so much…
       In my children’s English class I taught the kids food and my name has been changed to Hamburguesa (hamburger).
       I tried pig’s foot soup for the third time and each time I try it, it is grosser and grosser.


I COME HOME EXACTLY ONE MONTH FROM TODAY!!!!!!
LOVE AND HUGS
Madye and Megalodon

No comments:

Post a Comment